German Spitz/ Pomeranian
- German Spitz, Pomeranian
- Deutscher Spitz/Zwerg
- Deutscher Spitz/Zwergspitz
- Spitz Allemand/Spitz Nain
- Spitz Alemán/Spitz Enano
- Spitz Tedesco Nano
- National kennel clubs and breed clubs (see, e.g. Breeding/Health Strategy Documents, below)
- Population-level statistics (see, e.g., Swedish Insurance Data, below)
- Research articles
- Breed club surveys
- Breed-specific information on rates of disease and death from Agria Pet Insurance (Agria Djurförsäkring) is available for many breeds.
- The Kennel Club, UK: Breed Watch (Category 2)
- Sweden: Breed-specific Breeding Strategies: (in Swedish) and/or English Summary
- Finland: see: http://www.pienpystykorvat.fi/rodut/jalostustoimikunta/terveys/
- US: OFA recommended health tests: https://www.ofa.org/recommended-tests?breed=PN
- UK-KC:Points of concern for special attention by judges
- Chiari Malformation/ Syringomyelia
- British Veterinary Association - https://www.bva.co.uk/media/2800/20190710-chs-cmsm-leaflet-0719-v1-web.pdf
New considerations about Chiari-like malformation, syringomyelia and their management
First published: 05 June 2020
Though Britain is listed as the country of development of the Pomeranian, he is a Spitz-type dog descended from the much larger sled-hauling dogs of the Arctic. He was bred from the German Spitz before becoming known in the UK in 1870. In 1890, he entered the kennels of Queen Victoria, which popularised the breed, and the Pomeranian Club was formed the following year.
Links to Breed Descriptions
US: AKC: The Pom Club of America's Judges Education Page contains links to several breed description pages (structure, movement, colors...).
See: The German Kennel Club (VDH) for information and video (if available).
(Hint: your browser should be able to Translate to English, at least for text (e.g., right click in Google Chrome or Internet Explorer).)
AKC Video (link - https://youtu.be/FDPZyHuYHaM
View more videos on AKC's YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AmericanKennelClub
Other Names for Breed
Country of Origin and Parent Breed Club
Country of Origin: Germany (German Spitz) - Verein für Deutsche Spitze e.V.
Breed development: UK - The Pomeranian Club UK
Health and Well-Being
Some sources of health information include:
Some sources of health information include:
There are numerous breed standards.
The basis of breed/conformation shows is the judging of pedigree dogs against the 'Breed Standard', which is a picture in words that describes the range of features that are deemed appropriate for the breed.
Three of the major international standards are:
1. Swedish Insurance Data
2. Registrations Statistics
Finland: FKC Database: https://jalostus.kennelliitto.fi/frmEtusivu.aspx?R=97.4
also see: Pienpystykorvat ry's health page: http://www.pienpystykorvat.fi/rodut/jalostustoimikunta/terveys/
Breeding/Health Strategy Documents
Health/Breeding Strategy Documents and Links:
Other Health-Related Information:
2. The Kennel Club UK - SMCM Screening Scheme
3. Additional health condition information which may be applicable to this breed or to Toy dogs
Breed-Specific DNA Tests:
Other Breed-Specific Webpages
Database: Database German Spitz
Pedigree records; search Zwergspitz (as of 12.07.2015, 34753 Zwergspitz records, multiple countries/registries). This database includes records for other Spitz breeds (KüRZEL, ZWERGSPITZ, KLEINSPITZ, MITTELSPITZ, GROßSPITZ, WOLFSPITZ, JAPANSPITZ, VOLPINO ITALIANO, UNBEKANNT, GESAMT). Languages offered: English, Deutch, Nederlands
The Pomeranian Project: Historical information: Pomeranian Project is website dedicated exclusively to revealing the history, origin and development of the Pomeranian through careful research of original documents and primary source material. Facebook
We are listing sites for breed clubs with health or other information that might be helpful. Follow links below.
Australia: The Spitz Dog Club of Western Australia
Austria: Österreichischen Klub für Spitze und Spitzarten
Finland: The Finnish Toy Dog Association
Finand: Pienpystykorvat ry Kleinspitz & Pomeranian
France: Centrale Canine
France: Club Francais du Spitz Allemand et Italien - https://www.centrale-canine.fr/club-francais-du-spitz-allemand-et-italien
Germany: Verein für Deutsche Spitze e.V.
Ireland: The Irish Kennel Club Pomeranian Club Of Ireland contacts are listed on IKC's website.
Italy: The Italian Kennel Club (ENCI)
Italy: Club Italiano Spitz
Sweden: Swedish Kennel Club (SKK)
Sweden: Svenska Pomeranianklubben
Sweden: Svenska Spets - och Urhundklubben: Specialty club for FCI Group 5
UK: The Pomeranian Club UK
UK: South of England Pomeranian Club
USA: American Pomeranian Club
There are no comments to display.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.